Thursday, March 11, 2010

Dylan Learns to Open Kitchen Doors 2010 02 01


This month has been full of new tricks, and I believe it all started here. Okay, well, maybe after crawling, it all started here. It used to be so easy. Once Dylan could sit up on his own, I could leave him in his little play chair that we inherited from friends. Since he could sit up, but didn't know how to get off the chair, I could leave him there while I prepared his food in the kitchen. He soon learned how to get off the play chair, and since he was crawling, he would find a target and cross the room in no time to get to it, whether it be a toy or me in the kitchen. I found that I could prop him in the standing position, leaning against his play table. Once again, since he didn't know how to get down, he would continue standing there for what seemed like ages. But that didn't last long, since he learned from the chair that there was nothing about the floor to fear.

I would close the kitchen doors and watch him though the louvered slats. Dylan would think that I had gone away and he would entertain himself with his toys until I returned with his food.

And then he found me. It just so happens that the space between these kitchen doors is wider at the bottom than at the top. There is about a half inch of vertical space between the doors at the bottom. The space is perfectly size for a little hand with little fingers to grab on to the door.

Once Dylan learned to open the doors to the kitchen, it was a brand new Peek A Boo game. He was so happy to see me, but in complete awe of all the new adventures that the open door presented. Since his discovery, he's learned about the dog food and the dog door. Mocha-dog tries to unsuccessfully "herd" Dylan when he's in the kitchen. Maybe she just wants him to rub her belly.

Generally, though, for Dylan, a visit to the kitchen results in being swiftly picked up and returned to his play area.

No comments: