It's easy to extoll the virtues of motherhood. We carry around the baby for 9 months as it grows from a little speck into a little baby. We can imagine being mothers and start planning for the future of the child, long before it arrives into our lives. Yes, there is a special bond between a mother her child. Fathers don't naturally get that early connection. They squint at the fuzzy blotches on the ultrasound as the doctors and mothers tell them, "Look! A baby!" They read the books, go to the classes and watch the movies. It still is an abstract concept. When the baby actually arrives, the full effect of fatherhood begins. All of the sudden, fathers really see that there is this little tiny person that will forever change their lives.
Dan has always been the type to step up to the various life challenges throughout the fifteen years that we have known each other. In fatherhood, he has been no different. I have been terribly lucky to be able to say that my husband has been thoroughly involved with the entire process of starting a family. He came to as many doctors appointments as his work schedule would allow him to. He came to the childbirth classes with me and watched the movies. He read various books on childbirth, some with rather graphic pictures and descriptions. He even found some childbirth movies on his own and set aside time for us watch to them together. But it is Dan's actions since the baby was born that amaze me the most.
When Baby Dylan arrived, Dan did everything he could be involved with the care of the new baby, from the cutting of the cord to watching the first baby bath. He asked the nurses questions about swaddling and the heat table. He was never more than a few feet from the new baby.
As you can see from the pictures, the baby looked nothing like Dan. I would have guessed that this would disappoint most dads. Instead, Dan marvelled at how much he looked like me, and he thought that was so adorable. It made me feel beautiful and special as his wife and the mother of his child.
When it came to the first diaper change, I have heard of many fathers stepping back in fear of the grossness of the tar-like baby poop. Not Dan. He took on the charge with enthusiasm and excitement of the new challenge. Dan has been a regular diaper changer since then.
Now we are just over 10 weeks into Baby Dylan's new life with us. We are still learning the ropes of parenthood, but Dan is always willing to feed and diaper change the baby or try new ways to hold or burp him. He has been ever vigilant about emptying the diaper pail so I won't have to. He makes up songs to sing to Dylan as he plays with him. He notices all of the changes in Dylan as he becomes stronger and more alert. He muses with me about what Dylan's future will hold. Which sports will he play? Which video games?
Dylan is so lucky to have a father who is so excited to have him in his life. I am so lucky to have a husband who takes such great care of us and is so involved as a partner in parenting. I would not be able to endure the occasional long crying spells or the sleepless nights without Dan's dedicated support and encouragement. I look forward to our growth as a family, because I know I will always have Dan at my side.
I love you, Dan! Happy First Father's Day!
Saturday, June 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You are a very lucky person to have such a great guy. ;)
dan is indeed a great guy, today only I admit that! ;-) Kidding aside, a wonderful dad and family man. Happy Fathers Day.
Post a Comment