Friday, July 10, 2009

Summer Swimming

The weather started out with some June gloom, but it has become so fabulous this summer. I have been looking forward to finding an excuse for getting Dylan into the swimming pool. I bought his swim trunks and matching sun hat over a month ago. I was out shopping for diapers and such, and I saw them and just couldn't help myself.

Dylan's first time in water that was not a bath or shower was on June 27th. Dan was working on cleaning the backyard and trimming the plants, and he also swept and cleaned the filters in the swimming pool. He was admiring his handiwork and thought the pool looked so great that he just jumped in. That was all it took for me. I checked to see that the shade had spread to the spa area and had Dylan in his swimsuit in no time.

I didn't really have a plan. I thought I'd just put Dylan's feet in the water and see what he thought. We hadn't turned on the water heater, so the water was only heated by the sun, and still much cooler than the surrounding air. We didn't think that Dylan would last very long in the water, so the water would not have enough time to heat up. That's what we get for spontaneity.

I put my feet in the water and rested them on the step in the spa, and held Dylan in my arms like a swing. Dan moved from the pool to the spa to help and watch. I slowed dipped the bottoms of Dylan's tiny feet in the water and took them out. He flinched at the cool water, but he didn't scream or make angry faces. I did it again, but held him so his feet dangled to just barely touch the water. He started kicking at the water. That was very exciting! A few minutes later, I lowered him so the water was up to his knees. He just relaxed in my arms and let his feet hang in the water. I dipped him down to his waist and he didn't like that so much. I picked him up out of the water and he calmed down right away. He was still fine with me dangling his feet in the water.

Dan was already in the spa and he thought it would be fun to hold him above the water. He reached out and held Dylan around his ribcage. Dylan yelped. Dan had forgotten that his hands were wet and cold. We quickly took Dylan out of the water. He calmed down, a little. I took the opportunity to dip him back in down to his waist really quickly, just once for my personal satisfaction, before wrapping him in a towel and drying him off.

We took this family photo to commemorate Dylan's first swim in the pool. Note to self: take pictures before tormenting the kid, not after.

On July 3, cousins Ashley and Hannah and Uncle Daryl came to swim in our pool. When Dylan woke up from his nap, there was shade over the spa area, so I changed him into his swim trunks and brought him out to play. This time, Dan heated the water. If Dylan didn't last long enough in the water to enjoy it, the cousins would for sure. We started out like we did before, with my feet resting on the step and Dan in the spa. Dylan was great with just his feet in the water. The water warmed up a few degrees pretty quickly to a comfortable temperature. Dylan loves the warm water in his baths and showers, so we knew he was happy. I lowered him into the water a little at a time, just like last time, but the water was warm and Dylan stayed relaxed. After a while, I had him propped up, sitting on the step in the spa.

I couldn't resist trying to get him out in the water again. I told Dan to take him. Dan remembered about his hands this time and dried them off quickly before taking Dylan. Dylan let him carry him into the middle of the spa and move around the water with him. Dylan was so relaxed. At one point, Dan laughed and said that Dylan was about to fall asleep. Here are a few pictures from Dylan's water adventure when he was just about 3 months old.















1 comment:

davendi2 said...

You know, I swear there's a picture of you with Dad that looks a whole lot like that first picture of Dan and Dylan... goosebumps!