I've recently changed my answer to this oft-asked question from "Fine" to "Pregnant." Overall, the Science Project is going well. All observations are as expected. I've entered the Uncomfortable Third Trimester Phase.
I feel very big and round, all over, no just in my belly. I've been waddling instead of walking for a couple of months now. I'm certain I could do a great Laughing Buddah statue impression, if I tried.
I feel swollen at times in my hands and in my feet. Some people have said it doesn't look bad, compared to other pregnant women they have known, so maybe it's in my head, or maybe they're just being nice because I'm pregnant.
In the computer lab, I keep trying to squeeze into spaces between chairs and tables that I used to slip through. My belly bumps into the backs of students' heads and shoulders. I apologize, noting how big my belly has become. The students agree, as sweetly and as politely as they can, that yes, my belly is quite big. Watching the kids try their hardest to agree with me, yet be polite, is pretty funny.
I often feel physically exhausted. My lungs can't wait to get their space back from the upward pressure from my belly. I almost passed out going from my car to the ATM earlier this week, because I moved too quickly and my lungs and blood pressure couldn't keep up. It's weird, because in my head I remember how quickly I used to move from place to place, but when I try, I quickly remember that I'm lugging around 30 more pounds than I'm used to.
I'm constantly ravenously hungry, but I can only eat a few handfuls of food at a time. There's only so much you can get done in a day if you're constantly preparing food and eating it.
My feet start to hurt after standing for any period of time. I'm constantly leaning against sturdy things or finding a place to sit. Standing even for a short time while teaching in front of the computer lab or standing in line at the grocery store can become very difficult. If I'm out with Dan and I have to wait for even just a little bit, he turns around and finds that I have run away and found the nearest clean place to sit. Where were we when I last did that? Oh yes, Starbucks! I couldn't even wait a minute for his coffee to be prepared!
Despite the physical changes in my body, I am confident that they are all perfectly normal and healthy for a pregnant woman expecting to give birth in the next 6 weeks or so. Last week, the doctor had me schedule my next appointment for three weeks out, so that tells me that all is going well and that she's fairly certain that the baby's going to keep incubating for at least that long. I am taking all the discomfort in stride with good humor and anticipation for the hard part - when the baby's actually here.
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment